Some time ago, I got sick and tired of cleaning all the damn time. Trust me, it happens to the best of us.
It was the day-in, day-out monotony of picking up after 5 people – it was exhausting. I mean, how many times in one day can you wipe crumbs from the kitchen counter?
I felt defeated and was determined to find a way to spend less time cleaning, while still having a tidy house.
I realized that this ONE thing made all the difference for me when it comes to having a clean house!
This was the a-ha, light bulb moment for me…
Yes, not wearing shoes in the house made a huge difference in the time I spent cleaning! I know it sounds so simple. But, no shoes in the house means less dirt (and germs) is being tracked in. It means less footprints to wipe up. And less overall clutter in the house.
For the most part, we keep our shoes outside on the front porch. Since we live in Phoenix, we don’t have to worry about snow or rain, but we do have to worry about little creatures like scorpions and snakes.
So we created a hidden shoe storage unit in the entryway using the Ikea Besta Cabinets.
This blog post is all about Hidden Shoe Storage with IKEA Besta Cabinets
I love these cabinets because while they are sleek and modern, there is a variety of door fronts that you can choose from. They can also be mounted on the wall, which makes it super easy to vacuum and mop underneath.
- IKEA Besta Cabinets, available on Amazon here
- Shelf (I used 2 per cabinet, which gives me room for 9 pairs of shoes per cabinet)
- Hinges and Door Fronts
- Suspension Rail or Feet
- Shelf Liner
- Shoe deodorant (optional, but highly suggest)
Assemble the IKEA Besta Cabinet. This is one of Ikea’s easier pieces to assemble and shouldn’t take more than 10-20 minutes.
If you choose to purchase doors, then you add those now. Hinges are not always included, so make sure you read the description in its entirety.
Attach to the wall, add feet, or keep as-is. I currently have these cabinets in my living. They do come with feet, but they’re flat and its sole purpose is to keep it slightly off the ground and not scratch the cabinet and/or the floors. There’s no wrong choice here! All of these options look great.
Trace the shelf onto the shelf liner and cut. The shelf liner will protect the cabinet and keep the shoes from shifting around.
You can see the process video on my instagram here.
Take a step back and enjoy the final result.
Other items in this entryway photo:
- Marble Tray, Shop Similiar
- Air Plant, Shop Similar
- Acacia Bowl, Shop Similiar
Here are some other tips that you can help you with achieve a tidy house with minimal effort:
- This Dyson cordless vacuum is magic. It’s so light that you can lug it around the whole house. You have about 13 minutes of cleaning time before in needs to be recharged – but it’s totally worth it.
- Or take advantage of someone else (or something else) vacuuming with this robot vacuum cleaner
- Take advantage of those 2 minute commercial breaks on Hulu to clean. Will you get everything done, no. Will you get enough done, yes.
- Stop buying dishes that are hand-wash only. Give yourself a break and take advantage of your dishwasher. We use this magnetic sign to indicate whether or not the load is clean.
- Use a Swiffer WetJet. If you’re still using the old mop and water bucket… it’s time to move up in the world.
So I have to ask… have you mastered having a tidy house? And if not, I hope my tips make all the difference for you too!
This blog post was all about Hidden Shoe Storage with IKEA Besta Cabinets
Other posts you may like: